Witch.net Forum Index Witch.net
You're now a new taste in this huge cauldron.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching spell writing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snow Leopard
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Teaching spell writing Reply with quote

Hm, this'll be my first post on the forum, so sorry if I ramble a bit, although to be honest I tend to do that. (I promise to go do a proper introduction after I post this by the way. I just want to get this question out there first.)

Now, I personally consider myself to still be a beginner when it comes to magicky things, but apparantly others no longer do because my uni's magick club has bumped me up to officer status and asked me to teach our new members a bit.

Well anyways, I'm going to be giving them a bit of an introduction to spell writing. That means I'll mostly be focusing on choosing the words, since they've already learned a bit about circles and tools. I also think that since they're still very new they'd learn better if I focused on one bit rather than the whole spell-crafting process.

I've got a general idea of what I intend to cover, but it's occurred to me that I was mostly self-taught whereas they're mostly learning from teachers, so the process will be different in a way.

My question; I suppose goes out to those of you with experience at being students. What works? Especially when it comes to this topic. I've unfortunately only got one workshop's worth of time allotted where I can fully take charge, so I'd like to know what'll help my students learn to their full potential, and what kind of things will just make it more difficult for them.
Trayas
Earthbound Spirit
Earthbound Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well personally I would call myself self taught, I read tons of those Witchcraft for Beginners type books and made lots of notes in a diary of things that made sense to me on a personal level. I guess the best advice would to be to cover basics like how to cast spells in first place, candles, knot magic, oils etc. Maybe also touch on a variety of different practises, Voodoo, Satanism, Chaos etc, being spoon fed one way of thinking is quite limited in my opinion. Its quite hard to say as magic is usually so person specific, what works for one might not for another.
Snow Leopard
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, well they've already gotten the general stuff and learned how to cast from somebody else, and from what I saw of those lessons, it was all covered to an adequite degree.

As for other practises, it's a diverse group, so I'd rather not give a lecture on a practice that I don't normally focus on when there's someone available who does focus on it. Same goes for things like candles and knot magic, there are those in the group much more learned about those things than me so I'd rather leave that instruction up to them. I'm focusing on the writing because I write, it's something I know.

I've got limited time to talk, and only one workshop where I'm in charge. As much as I may want to, I simply can't give an acceptable amount of detail on such a wide variety of topics in so little time. That's why I need to narrow the focus during the workshop itself.
Narn
Magus of the Blue Duck
Magus of the Blue Duck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this would work? Come in with a badly written spell, and then go through it line by line and have the group create a clearer and more precise spell? Show them that clarity of thought is just as important in magick as it is in anything else they do. By having them make the corrections the class will get invested in what you are teaching and that always works better than just being lectured to.

The place is still growing, it still is here
It will grow until all of its children are there
Tannim Nimet Dreamwalker
Snow Leopard
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I like that idea. Yes, I think I'll have them try that near the end.

Thank you.
Astral Traveler
Earthbound Spirit
Earthbound Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where spells are concerned, intention may be as important as the words used.

(Ikkyu)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Witch.net Forum Index -> The Spell Zone All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: