Witch.net Forum Index Witch.net
You're now a new taste in this huge cauldron.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handfasting Ceremonies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isis
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Handfasting Ceremonies Reply with quote

I think this would go here.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody out there has any handfasting ceremonies? My fiance and I are having ours in late April. I was able to find one that could be done in the presence of non-Pagans, so that no one is offended but it's still important to us. I have the basics of it, but was wanting more to it.

If it helps, keep in mind that he's a Druid, I'm the Witch. Here's what I already have. I know it looks pretty much complete but it seems like it's missing something. I just can't figure out what yet. I don't have a "eucharist" in there because he doesn't drink alcohol; he's actually allergic to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sara is my Offiant and best friend
I'm Tamara and fiance is Patrick
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a HANDFASTING CEREMONY
(in the presence of non-Pagans)

Sara: We have come together here today in celebration of the joining together of Tamara and Patrick.

Sara: There are many things to be said about marriage. Much wisdom concerning the joining together of two souls, has come our way through all paths of belief, and from many cultures. With each union, more knowledge is gained and more wisdom gathered. Though we are unable to give all this knowledge of love and its strengths, it is the anticipation of that wisdom that comes with time. The law of life is love unto all beings. Without love, life is nothing; without love, death has no redemption. Love is anterior to Life, posterior to Death, initial of Creation and the exponent of Earth. If we learn no more in life, let it be this.

Sara: Marriage is a bond to be entered into only after considerate thought and reflection. As with any aspect of life, it has its cycles, its ups and its downs, its trials and its triumphs. With full understanding of this Patrick and Tamara have come here this day to be joined as one in marriage.

-SHORT PAUSE-

Sara: In other traditional ceremonies, one would ask at this point, who gives the Bride in marriage. Seeing as how a woman is not property to be bought and sold, given and taken, I simply ask her if she comes of her own free will and if she has her family’s blessing.

Sara: Tamara, is it true you come of your own free will and accord?

Tamara: Yes, it is true.

Sara: With whom do you come and whose blessings accompany you?

Tamara: I come with Bryan, my Father by Birth (he stands), Gary, my Father by Experience (he stands), and Rebecca, my Mother. They are accompanied by my family and their blessings (they sit).

Sara: Please, join hands with your Betrothed and listen to that which I am about to say.

Sara: Above you are the stars, below you are the stones. As time doth pass, remember…

Like a stone, should your love be firm. Like a star, should your love be constant. Let the powers of the mind and of the intellect guide you in your marriage. Let the strength of your wills bind you together. Let the power of love and desire make you happy. Let the strength of your dedication make you inseparable. Be close, but not too close. Possess one another, yet be understanding. Have patience with one another, for storms will come, but they will pass quickly. Be free in giving affection and warmth. Have no fear and let not the ways of the unenlightened give you unease, for all the powers that be, the Love of the Mother, the Love of the Father, are with you always.

Sara: Patrick, I have not the right to bind thee to Tamara, only you have this right. If it be your wish, say so at this time and place your ring in her hand.

Patrick: It is my wish.

Sara: Tamara if it be your wish for Patrick to be bound to you, place the ring on his finger. (places ring on Patrick’s left ring finger)

Sara: Tamara, I have not the right to bind thee to Patrick, only you have this right. If it be your wish, say so at this time and place your ring in his hand.

Tamara: It is my wish.

Sara: Patrick if it be your wish for Tamara to be bound to you, place the ring on her finger. (places ring on Tamara’s left ring finger)
Patrick: I, Patrick Michael Kearney, in the name of the Spirit of the Earth, Sky and all that is Life that resides within us all, by the life that courses within my blood and the love that resides within my heart, take thee Tamara Marie Bowker, to my hand, my heart, my spirit, to be my Chosen One. To desire thee and be desired by thee. To possess thee and be possessed by thee. Without sin or shame, for naught can exist in the purity of my love for thee. I promise to love thee wholly and completely without restraint, in sickness and in health, in plenty and in poverty, in life and beyond, where we shall meet, remember love again. I shall not seek to change thee in any way, shall respect thee, thy beliefs, thy people, and thy ways as I respect myself.

Tamara: I, Tamara Marie Bowker, in the name of the Spirit of the Earth, Sky and all that is Life that resides within us all, by the life that courses within my blood and the love that resides within my heart, take thee Patrick Michael Kearney, to my hand, my heart, my spirit, to be my Chosen One. To desire thee and be desired by thee. To possess thee and be possessed by thee. Without sin or shame, for naught can exist in the purity of my love for thee. I promise to love thee wholly and completely without restraint, in sickness and in health, in plenty and in poverty, in life and beyond, where we shall meet, remember love again. I shall not seek to change thee in any way, shall respect thee, thy beliefs, thy people, and thy ways as I respect myself.

Personal Vows (“Broken” plays in the background quietly)

Sara: By the power vested in me by the Powers that Be and the State of Colorado, I now pronounce you husband and wife. May your love so endure that its flame remains a guiding light unto you. (whispers to Patrick to kiss the Bride.)
Traitor & Scum
Traitor & Scum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it's kinda a spell . . . but also a ceremony too . . . I dunno, do I hear a new Ceremonial forum opening up? ;)

Here's an extremely old one I had on a site that will not be mentioned here. It seems pretty much pagan-bound, but it'll be good for inspiration.

Also, I may say this a lot, but have you considered writing your own? I think that'd be a good thing for you, considering your situation and all. Besides, it'd be fun. :)

Edit - Wow, I just read through this and it's an eyesore. I'll try to patch it up later for you, but I'm a little busy right now.

Cast Circle
Hps: ( opens doorway with staff, place staff across threshhold of door) There are two who would be joined together as one. Let them enter into this place of love and begin their union together.
(bride and groom enter and stand in center of circle) ( to others outside of the circle) The gate stands open to the temple of love. There is no challenge, for all are welcome here, who enter with joy and love for this sacred union.
(any who enter are annointed with celtic cross and told:) blessing be upon you!
Watchtowers: hp: Hear me Raphael, Lord of air- you who rules over the realms of birth and new beginnings. We call thee forth to witness our rite, and guard this circle with your love and light!
Hear me michael, lord of fire- you who shines so brightly over our lives, filling them with the love that is yours, so that it may shine forth from within. We call thee forth to witness our rite, and to guard this circle with your love and light!
hps: hear me gabriel, lady of water- you who reigns over all endings, that which without, there could be no beginning. We call thee forth to witness our rite, and guard this circle with your love and light.
Hear me ariel, lady of earth- you who are the body and myster, from which all life begins. We call thee forth to witness our rite,
and guard this circle with your love and light. (hps- lite Lady Candle hp- Lite Lord Candle) Both: (hps) Gracious Goddess (hp) Mighty Lord Give to these before us, we do ask; your love and protection from all that would try to harm their union. Blessed be!
( handmaiden and summoner bring forth bride and groom from center of circle and place her before priestess and him before priest)
Handmaiden: HERE WE BRING FORTH THE BRIDE.
Summoner: AND ALSO THE GROOM.
hps: Is it your wish, *BRIDE'S name mundane, to become one with this man in the bond of handfasting?
Bride: It is.
hp: Is it your wish, *GROOM'S name mundane, to become one with this woman in the bond of handfasting? Groom: it is.
hp: Air, Be with us here, oh beings of air, With your clever fingers, tie closely the bonds between this pair.
Fire, Be with us here, oh beings of fire, Give their love and passion, your all consuming ardor.
hps: Water, Be with us here, oh beings of water. Give them the deepest of love, and richness of body and soul and spirit.
Earth, Be with us here, oh beings of earth. Let your strength and consistancy be theirs through out this union for this life time.
(priestess places brides ring on wand and hold end in left hand. priest places grooms ring on wand and holds end in right hand. present wand to couple)
hp: place your right hands on this wand, his hand over hers.(pause while do so) Above you are the stars,
below you the stones, as time does pass remember...... like a star, should your love be constant, like a
stone, should your love be firm
hps: be close, yet not too close. possess one another, yet be understanding. have patience, each with the other, for storms will come, yet also will they pass. be free in giving of affection and warmth. make love often, and be sensuous with each other.
hp: Have no fear, and let not the words of the
unenlightened give you unease, for the God and goddess are with you and have blessed this union with their love and presence.
hps: take now your rings and place them on each others hand. remembering as you do so, that they include a small portion of this circle to remind you always of your love for each other and your union that is made here today.
(*couple may choose to exchange vows they have written to each other*)
(remove rings and give to couple, who then place them on each others fingers. )
hps: as you have chosen to mingle your lives, so now do you mingle your love....the two becoming as one. (hp hands her the ribbons and they are bound to each other in this manner)
hp: Then as the Lord and Lady and all the ancient and mighty ones are witness to this rite, thus are thy hands fasted, the two are one, the work of joy is done, and yet.... just begun.
(priestess and priest take broom to center of circle, while maiden and summoner direct/lead couple to center in front of broom. Priestess holds bushy end of broom and priest holds handle end, keeping broom about a foot above the ground.)
(Couple jump the broom)(priestess takes broom and sweeps away all negitivity and traces of their past life apart from around and beind them, out the door of the circle)
(couple picks up their own tapers and light from power candle, then together, light their single candle)
hps: the candle of life is lit.....
hp: likewise, the candle of the soul...
both: together, they combine to form the eternal light of love.
hps: may the lord and lady recognize the bonds drawn between this couple by their own strength of love and will. let the ties between them be strong, yet supple and let none strive to break this bond that they have set forth in the presence of the Lord and lady for this lifetime.
hp: let those of you here with this pair, lend your love and light to thier union.
both: I now declare thee...husband and wife! blessed be!
( hps and hp pick up cup for the inside of circle, maiden and summoner hold cup for outside of circle and bride and groom hold their own cup. maiden and summoner need not kiss to charge wine)
hps: and the goddess said, these be the five points of fellowship.
: foot to foot
: knee to knee
: lance to grail
: heart to heart
: lip to lip
: joined together, they bring blessedness.
(bride and groom kiss to charge cup)
hps: let us drink from the loving cup and the joy of this union.
( bride and groom drink from their cup, pass all other chalices)
hp: from spirit we come, and to spirit we go, from their union, the power of love will flow.
hps: the winds of reason will stir the air, and temper their quarrles with respectful care.
hp: their bond is forged upon the fire and love will fill their hearts with steady desire.
hps: the waters of understanding will fill them up and they will drink together from wisdom's cup.
hp: the earth in her glory will smile upon this pair health, harmony and happiness will be theirs to share. both: for what goes around, returns again, to those who love. for the spirit of union reflects the pattern above.
hps: as these two hearts have combined like the flame of their candles, made strong by love. may the light of their love become a beacon by which they may always find one another. These children of the gods have lit a candle in the darkness of the world. May it always burn with a steady light and if it should flicker or threathen to go out, may both raise a hand to guard and shield it. For the candle of thier love may well assist other travlers on the road of life. So Mote It Be Blessed Be
both: circle rippleout to forever echo and preform the act of magick with which you are charged. so mote it be!
( as couple leaves, hp and hps silently and quickly dismiss lord and lady and watchtowers)

Eroz
Nor shall the fiend of hell awake my fear
Though I should cruise until the Judgement Day.

Hendrik Vanderdecken
Isis
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eroz wrote:
Eh, it's kinda a spell . . . but also a ceremony too . . . I dunno, do I hear a new Ceremonial forum opening up? Wink

I think I do!

If anything there's inspiration needed. I just want to have a nice Pagan ceremony, but without being too overbearing with it around my family, you know? The majority of them know I'm not Christian, but it's just nice to have a somewhat unique ceremony that people will remember, you know? I'm all about sticking out in people's memories, whether or not they're family. Thanks for any information!! SmileSmileSmile
Traitor & Scum
Traitor & Scum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a medieval wedding...we were going to use that for the reason of a non christian ceremony, but problem was we couldnt find a high priestess and it wouldnt be legal. In the end we had fun but it wasnt a hand fasting....done by a justice of the peace.

~Taste The Magic, Lick A Witch~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Dark Lady
Queen of the Damned
Queen of the Damned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*indicates the description for this forum* Only for Triana

What though the field be lost?
All is not lost -- the unconquerable will,
And study of revenge, immortal hate,
And courage never to submit or yield
SallieOP
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely an opening for a forum on ceremonies...

I married in a civil service but now, I am getting married (in a religious ceremony) and am facing some of the same dilemmas with having a handfasting that meets with my faith and his...

Good luck...

SallieOP
The Dark Lady
Queen of the Damned
Queen of the Damned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Description for this Forum wrote:
Help with spell-crafting, experiences with spell-casting, donating spells of your own, and discussion of varying forms of magick, ceremonies, and rituals. WARNING: Begging for spells will not be tolerated.

What though the field be lost?
All is not lost -- the unconquerable will,
And study of revenge, immortal hate,
And courage never to submit or yield
Isis
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sallie
What is he?
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a Christian who has been angry with God for 20 years who thinks witchcraft is a fantasy and not real...

I don't see this as a problem, because my interest hasn't bothered him in the least... Whatever makes you happy is his response.

SallieOP
Isis
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can he be a Christian if he's been mad at his god for 20 years? One would think that if he were upset with his god then wouldn't he stray from his religion completely? There was a line in Dogma I think that said something along the lines of it being better to have an idea than it is faith. Not a bad way of thinking. Does he think there is anything out there for him other than Christianity maybe?
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the biggest insight I have is that last christmas my mom gave me a cross and when our next door neighbor saw it, he asked what is that all about and my honey responded, that would be the cross where Christ died for your sins....

Needless to say, that is the extent of our conversation about his beliefs...

SallieOP
Isis
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your pm's
Traitor & Scum
Traitor & Scum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isis, just because you are angry with god does not mean you cannot stay in a religion. Just because you worship something does not give it protection against a person's anger. I'd get into this deeper, but it's neither the time nor the place. :)

Eroz
Nor shall the fiend of hell awake my fear
Though I should cruise until the Judgement Day.

Hendrik Vanderdecken
Novtholwen
Traitor & Scum
Traitor & Scum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea!! Maybe on our one year anniversary we can hold a handfasting!! Smile Then I will have gotten the chance to do it.

He promised that on our 5 or 10 yrs anniversary we can go somewhere exotic and get re-married

~Taste The Magic, Lick A Witch~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Isis
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eroz - I made mention of what you just said in a pm to sallie, telling her that their just my opinions, not fact. Thanks for you input. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We had a medieval wedding...we were going to use that for the reason of a non christian ceremony, but problem was we couldnt find a high priestess and it wouldnt be legal. In the end we had fun but it wasnt a hand fasting....done by a justice of the peace.

That was our problem to Nov, and that is why this April for our 5th year anniversary we are doing our handfasting the way we wanted to orignally, it has been alot of fun remaking the costumes, rewritting the cermony to include the kids etc.

IsisInanna all the best to you in April !!
Isis
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SilverClaw! Smile
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: I FOUND IT I FOUND IT!!!!! Reply with quote

I found what I wanted. Here is the ceremony now..

A Handfasting Ceremony

Sara: We have come together here today in celebration of the joining together of Patrick and Tamara.

Sara: There are many things to be said about marriage. Much wisdom, concerning the joining together of two souls, has come our way through all paths of belief and from many cultures. With each union, more knowledge is gained and more wisdom is gathered. Though we are unable to give all this knowledge of love and its strengths, it is the anticipation of that wisdom that comes with time.

Sara: The law of life is love unto all beings. Without love, life is nothing; without love, death has no redemption. Love is anterior to Life, posterior to Death, initial of Creation and the Exponent of Earth. If we learn no more in life, let it be this.

Sara: Marriage is a bond to be entered into only after considerate thought and reflection. As with any aspect of life, it has its cycles, its ups and downs, its trials and its triumphs. With full understanding of this, Tamara and Patrick have to here together this day to be joined as one in marriage.

-brief moment of reflection-

Sara: I call to the Elements for Their blessings.

"Hear me Spirit of Air, who rules over the realms of birth and new beginnings. We call thee forth to witness our rite, and guard this place with your love and light.

"Hear me Spirit of Fire, who shines so brightly over our lives,filling them with the love that is yours, so that it may shine forth from within. We call thee to witness our rite, and guard this place with your love and light.

"Hear me Spirit of Water, who reigns over all endings, that which without there could be no beginning. We call thee forth to witness our rite, and guard this place with your love and light.

"Hear me Spirit of Earth, who is the body and mystery from which all life begins. We call thee forth to witness our rite, and to guard this place with your love and light.

-Sara lights two white taper candles; one for Patrick, one for Tamara-

Sara: Gracious Creators and Hosts, please give to these before us, we do ask your love and protection from all that would try to harm their union.
Be with us here, beings of Air; with your clever fingers, tie closely the bonds between this pair.

Be with us here, being of Fire; give their love and passion your all-consuming ardor.

Be with us here, being of Water; give them the deepest of love and richness of body, soul, and spirit.

Be with us here, beings of Earth; let your strength and consistency be theirs throughout this union for this lifetime.

-short pause

Sara: In other traditional ceremonies, one would ask at this point who gives the Bride in marriage. Seeing that a woman is not property to be bought and sold, given and taken, I simply ask her if she comes of her own free will and if she has her family's blessing.

Sara: Tamara, is it true you come of your own free will and accord?

Tamara: It is true.

Sara: With whom do you come and whose blessings accompany you?

Tamara: I come with the blessings of Bryan, my father by birth; Gary, my father by experience; and Rebecca, my mother. They are accompanied by the rest my family and their blessings.

Sara: Please join hands with your betrothed and listen to that which I am about to say.

Sara: Above you are the stars; below you are the stones. As time passes, remember...

Like a stone, should your love be firm. Like a star, should your love be constant. Let the powers of the mind and of the intellect guide you in your marriage. Let the strength of your wills bind you together. Let the power of love and desire make you happy. Let the strength of your dedication make you inseparable. Be close, but not too close. Possess one another, yet be understanding. Have patience with one another, for storms will come, but they will pass quickly. Be free in giving affection and warmth. Have no fear and let not the ways of the unenlightened give you unease, for all the powers that be, the Love of the Mother, the Love of the Father, are with you always.

Sara: Tamara, I have not the right to bind thee to Patrick; only you have this right. If it be your wish, say so at this time and place your ring in his hand.

Tamara: It is my wish.

Sara: Patrick, I have not the right to bind thee to Tamara; only you have this right. If it be your wish, say so at this time and place your ring in her hand.

Patrick: It is my wish.

Sara: Take your rings and place them on each other's fingers, remembering as you do so that they include a small portion of your spirit and those loved ones around you, to remind you always of your love for each other and your union that is made here today.

Patrick, then Tamara: I, (Patrick Michael Kearney/Tamara Marie Bowker), in the name of the Spirit of the Earth, Sky, and all that is within my heart, take thee (Tamara Marie Bowker/Patrick Michael Kearney), to my hand, my heart, my spirit, to be my Chosen One. To desire thee and be desired by thee. To possess thee and be possessed by thee. Without sin or shame, for naught can exist in the purity of my love for thee. I promise to love thee wholly and completely without restraint, in sickness and in health, in plenty and in poverty, in life and beyond, where we shall meet and remember love again. I shall not seek to change thee in any way, shall respect thee, thy beliefs, they people, and thy ways as I respect myself.

Personal Vows ("Broken" plays softly in the background)

Sara: As you have chosen to mingle your lives, so now do you mingle your love, the two becoming as one. The candle of life is lit; likewise, the candle for the soul. Together, they combine to form the eternal light of love. May the Father and the Mother recognize the bonds drawn between this couple by their own strength of love and will. Let the ties between them be strong, yet supple, and let none strive to break this bond that they have set forth in the presence of the Lord and Lady for this lifetime. Let those of you here with this pair lend your love and light to their union.

Sara: From spirit we come and to spirit we go (Patrick and Tamara pick up their tapers and light the unity candle); from their union, the power of love will flow. The winds of reason will stir the air, and temper their quarrels with respectful care. Their bond is forged upon the fire and love will fill their hearts with steady desire. The waters of understanding will fill them up and they will drink together from wisdom's cup. The earth in her glory will smile upon this pair, and health, harmony and happiness will be theirs to share. For what goes round returns again to those who love, as these two hearts have combined, like the flame of their candles, made strong by love. May the light of their love become a beacon by which they may always find one another. These children of the Gods have lit a candle in the darkness of the world. May it always burn with a steady light. And if it should threaten to flicker or threaten to go out, may both raise a hand to guard and shield it, for the candle of their love may well assist other travelers on the road of life.

-short pause-

Sara: By the power vested in me by the Mother and the Father and the State of Colorado, I now pronounce you husband and wife. May your love so endure that its flame remains a guiding light unto you. (Whisper, loud enough for those up front to hear) Patrick, kiss your Bride.

Procession out as Mr. and Mrs. Patrick M. Kearney
Goddess of Dream Country
Goddess of Dream Country

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love when people love each other enough to bind themselves together Innocent Heartbeat Congrats! It sounds like a very nice ceremony that you have there Smile
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Crimson!! It took some figuring out of what he liked, what I liked and what my friend (who's peforming the ceremony) is comfortable doing. It turned out really well, I think.
Tarot Mistress
Tarot Mistress

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this ceremony.
The Pirate Farmer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it's really cool to come back and read this thread from time to time, huh? It's an amazingly beautiful ceremony.

MoonShadow Farms
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Witch.net Forum Index -> The Spell Zone All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: